Tuesday, December 3, 2013

my ultimate inspo


When I was born, my father proceeded to say that I looked like Frida Kahlo. From that moment on, my unofficial middle name became Frida, and my childhood friends continue to call me that, to this day. I wouldn't truly understand who Frida was until many years later, but now I can truly say that she may be my greatest inspiration. Her art, the feminism it births, her tragic life stories, her expression, and her strength are a constant reminder of who I am and how I am connected to her through name, ethnicity, culture, and even spirit. In fact, I dressed up as her for Halloween this year.
My father sent me this picture not long ago and it stuck out to me drastically. Frida takes on a look here that most people have never seen her with. The flowers and braids of her hair are not present and she doesn't have on any traditional Mexican skirt or shawl. It's tomboy. And yet it's so truly her in a way that I can't even explain. I don't know where this picture is from or why it was taken or anything about it, but the effortless beauty within it shall be my inspiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment